Saturday, December 28, 2013

Seasoning Cast Iron

I finally decided that it was time to clean a couple of cast iron skillets that had been given to me by my mother.  I have had them for over 35 years and they they had so much build up that you would have thought they would never look good again.  I was wrong, they looked so good that I thought I would share with you all how I did it.

DO NOT TRY TO DO THIS INSIDE YOUR HOUSE.  I DID THIS OUTSIDE ON A CAMP CHEF 2 BURNER PROPANE STOVE.

I have a Camp Chef gas stove.  So I turned on the burners and put the skillets on them to heat.  I turned the heat up on high and let them just start burning off all the build up.  At times it caught fire, but I let it go.  After it burned awhile, I took a big wire brush and a wide screw driver and chipped away at the gunk a little at a time and kept putting them back on the burner.  It took about 2 hours of steady burning to get them all burned clean. 

Here's what they looked like before I started.

 
 
After I got all the gunk burned off with the gas stove, my hubby took a wire brush and his drill and cleaned off any little bits left behind. 
 
Here's what they looked like when he got finished with them.
 
 

 Now I was ready to season them again.  Here are the steps I took to do so.  They are still in my oven, will post after pictures tomorrow.

  1. Turn on the oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Wash them under running water with steel wool.  Only use steel wool at this time, never to clean your already seasoned skillets.  Dry well with paper towels.
  3. Next take Bacon grease and rub them down real good using a paper towel.  Rub it inside and out and even on the handle.
  4. Bake for 2 hours.
  5. Let cool completely and repeat steps 1 through 4
  6. Repeat this same process a third time.
You can use the skillets after the first seasoning, but if you go three times it will give you a better skillet to cook with.  It will further season itself as you use it.

Clean your skillets under running water, no soap and no steel wool.  If seasoned properly you will get a nice non stick surface and they will take very little cleaning time.




 

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I was just looking closer at your pic's...that is amazing, the difference especially the outside of your pan....the # and lettering is perfectly legible....great job Kat!

      Delete
  2. Thank you Patty. I was so happy with how they turned out.

    ReplyDelete