Saturday, May 19, 2012

Blackberry Jam

I just finished making some yummy Blackberry Jam.  Jam can safely be processed in a water bath canner and it is a real easy project for those of you that are just learning to can.  I am giving you directions for making jam with powdered pectin, but if you want to use liquid you will find directions in every box you buy.

What you need:                        
Ingredients: for Sure-Jell less sugar
5 cups of crushed berries
4 cups of sugar
1 box of pectin
Pat of butter (to reduce foaming)
Yields approximately 7 cups

Ingredients for regular Sure-Jell
5 cups of crushed berries
7 cups of sugar
1 box of pectin
Pat of butter (to reduce foaming)
Yields approximately 9 cups

I made some of both. 

Directions:
Get your water bath canner and all utensils ready.  Boil your jars and prepare lids per manufacturer instructions.

Measure out your sugar in a bowl and set aside. 
Wash your berries and remove all stems and leaves. 




Shown here, I am using my Squeezo Strainer to 
remove all the skins and seeds from my 
berries.


Mash your berries.  I use a Foley food mill and run mine through it if I am only doing one batch of jam.   It gets rid of most of the seeds.   If you want seedless you can put it through a small metal strainer  after you run it through the food mill.  I did one batch this way and it turned out real good.  If I am doing a lot of berries I use my Squeezo Strainer.  It does a wonderful job getting rid of seeds.





Put your crushed berries in a heavy stainless steel pot.

Mix pectin with about 1/4 cup of sugar from what you measured out and mix in with the berries.  Add a small pat of butter to reduce foaming.

Bring to a full rolling boil over high heat stirring constantly.  Make sure it is a boil that can't be stirred down.

Add the sugar while stirring quickly.  Bring back to a full boil and boil 1 minute.

Ladle into hot jars. 




Clean the rim with a damp paper towel dipped in white vinegar.  Put on lids and rings and tighten down.



Put into the water bath canner and process for 10 minutes.  Adjust time if you are at a higher elevation.




Remove jars and place on a towel to sit for 24 hours.  Label and store in a cool, dark place.
 

Of course if you want to just mash them and leave in the seeds, it works great that way too.
Here's a photo of some I made leaving the seeds in.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment