Thursday, October 18, 2012

Spiced Pear Preserves

Since I had pears, I decided to make some Spiced Preserves.  I found a recipe that did not add water and I wanted to try it.  The recipe just called for Pears and Sugar, but I wanted some spices.  The next batch I make I will also add a lemon thinly sliced.  I ended up with 9 half pint jars of yummy goodness!

You will need Pears
 (Use them while hard, ripe ones will turn to mush)
Sugar
Spices
(I used all spice and cinnamon)
One lemon thinly sliced.  (optional)

Wash your pears.  Peel & Core.  (Save peels for jelly)
For each quart of pears you will need 1 cup of sugar.  I used a quart jar and cut my pears into it until it was full, then poured them into a med/large stainless steele pot.  I then sprinkled a cup of sugar over the pears.  Once you pot is full, cover it and let it sit in the refrigerator for 12 to 24 hours.  The sugar will dissolve and pull liquid from the pears.  It should look like this.

Start the pears cooking and turn heat to low.  Allow to simmer over low heat for about 2 hours.  Add whatever spices you like.  I only used 1/2 tsp of allspice and 1/2 tsp of cinnamon.  Let cook another hour or until pears are tender and translucent. 
Like this.

Remove pears from syrup and set aside. They should look like this when done.

Continue cooking your syrup over medium heat until it thickens real good.  Return the pears back to the pot with the thickened syrup and bring to a boil over medium heat.

Ladle hot preserves into jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace.  Like this.

Wipe rims with a clean paper towel dipped in vinegar to ensure a good seal.  Remove air bubbles.  Put on lids and rings and tighten down finger tight.  Process in a boiling water bath for 20 minutes.  Remove lid and wait 5 more minutes.
Place jars on counter to cool for 24 hours.
Lable and Store.

I did not use lemon in this batch but want to in then next one. You would thinly slice it. Remove seeds and cook with the pears. Remove and discard the lemon when you are removing the pears to thicken the syrup.








1 comment:

  1. I was given a bushel of pears and decided to make some spiced pear preserves. I decided to use this recipe because it sounded good, looked rustic and seemed relatively easy.

    I ended up using 6 1/2 quarts of pears. The spices that I ended up using were cinnamon, allspice, a dash of cloves and I added a little bit of vanilla. I ended up with 12 half-pints of finished product.

    When the pears were cooking, the whole house smelled AMAZING!! There is only one word that can be used to describe the smell and taste...Christmas!

    I can hardly wait until the jars have cooled because I am so eager to eat some more of these yummy preserves!

    Thank you for sharing your recipe and thank you for your blog!

    ReplyDelete