1 1/2 cup drained sweet potatoes (I use the one I can myself)
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar firmly packed
1/2 cup butter or 1 stick (melted)
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
2 tbsp of flour
1/2 tsp of nutmeg or allspice
1 tsp of cinnamon
1 9- inch pie crust
First thing you want to do is make your pie crust. Here's How. Double this if you are making a pie that needs a top crust.
1 1/3 cups All Purpose Flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 stick well-chilled Crisco Baking Sticks or Butter Flavored Shortening
3 to 6 tbsp of ice cold water
Using a fork or pastry blender cut the shortening into the flour/salt mixture until it looks like crumbled balls. Start adding water on tablespoon at a time while stirring with a fork. Test for moistness by forming a small ball. If it holds together it is enough.
Roll your crust as thick as you like and make it bigger than your pie plate.
Place crust into the pie plate letting edges overlap the plate.
Take a knife and trim away the excess dough. Using a fork you can crimp the edges or use your fingers.
Preheat your oven to 425 degrees
- Mix flour, nutmeg and cinnamon and set aside
- Puree sweet pototoes, add the sugars and butter and blend until creamy
- Add vanilla, eggs and milk. Beat until srmooth
- Add flour and spices to the sweet potato mixture and blend well
- Pour into pie crust
- Bake at 425 for 15 to 20 minutes and then turn oven down to 350. Bake an additional 35 to 40 minutes or until a knife in center comes out clean.
Cool and Serve with a whipped cream topping or meringue made from egg whites.