Sunday, March 16, 2014

Baked Beans

I have been so busy for the past couple of months and have sure missed my canning.  Decided I would do some baked beans today, so here I am.  This recipe is adapted from the Ball Blue Book recipe for Boston Baked Beans on page 66.  The ingredients are the same but I do not bake my beans before canning them.

You will need: 
  • 2 pounds of dry beans (Navy or Great Northern)
  • Salt pork (3/4 inch cube put in each jar)
  • 2/3 cup of brown sugar
  • 2/3 cup of molasses
  • 1 large onion (Can use up to 3 if you like onions)
  • 2 tsp of dry mustard
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 4 cups of water reserved from the beans
Yields 8 pints of beans

First thing I did was pour out my beans and sort them to get out any rocks or bad beans.  Next I rinsed them under running water.  Then I put the beans in a large stainless steel pot and covered them in cold water.  I left them to soak overnight.

My beans the next morning

1:  Pour off the water that the beans soaked in and cover in fresh water.  Boil for 30 minutes.

2:  Put about 3 inches of water in your pressure canner and started it getting hot.  

3:  Take a small pan and fill it about half full with water and bring it to a boil.  Turn off the heat and put lids in this to sit until you are ready for them.  

4:  Get your jars washed and ready.  

5:  Mix chopped onions, brown sugar, molasses, dry mustard and salt in a pot.  Add 4 cups of water from the beans to this.  Boil 5 minutes.


6:  Strain the remaining water off of the beans.  Add the sauce the pot with the beans.  Mix together.



7:  Put 3/4 inch cube of salt pork into each jar. Add beans to jars making sure liquid is evenly distributed.  Leave one inch head-space.  Remove air bubbles and add boiling water if needed to adjust head-space.


8:  Wipe the rims of  jars with a paper towel dipped in vinegar.  Place lids and rings on the jars and tighten them down finger tight.  Place jars in canner and put on the lid.

9:  Vent the steam for 10 minutes.

10:  Process pints for 80 minutes or Quarts for 95 minutes at 10 pounds pressure per BBB instructions.

11:  Turn off the heat and let the pressure drop naturally.  Wait 10 more minutes before removing lid and then let the canner sit for another 10 minutes.  This gives your jars time to adjust to the temperature in the room.  Place jars on the counter to cool for the next 24 hours.