Ingredients you will need:
To make one quart To make 7 quarts
3 1/2 cups of Blackberries 6 quarts of Blackberries
1 cup of sugar 7 cups of sugar
1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp Clear-Jel 1 3/4 cups of Clear-Jel
1 1/3 cups water or fruit juice 9 1/3 cups water or fruit juice
1 Tbsp + 1 Tsp lemon juice 1/2 cup of lemon juice
- Rinse your Blackberries in cool water. Let sit on colander to drain.
- Combine Sugar and Clear-Jel in a large stainless steel pot
- Add the water or juice (whichever one you are using) and cook over medium high heat until mixture thickens and starts to bubble.
- Add Lemon Juice and boil one minute stirring constantly.
- Fold in your Blackberries being careful not to crush them.
- Fill quart jars and as you fill them, press down gently with a rubber spatula to remove air bubbles. Leave 1 inch head space.
- Wipe rims of jars with a wet paper towel and clean well to ensure a good seal.
- Put on lids and rings and tighten down finger tight.
- Place jars in your boiling water canner leaving at least one inch of water above the jars.
- Bring water to a full boil and once boiling you can reduce heat to maintain a steady boil.
- Process quarts for 30 minutes.
- Turn off heat and wait 5 minutes and then place jars on counter to cool for 24 hours.
- Label and Store.
You can use a little extra sugar if your berries are very tart and you like the filling sweeter.
Adjust processing times as needed for the altitude where you live.
Oregon State Extension Pie Filling Recipes