Saturday, June 6, 2015

Dehydrated Pineapple

I found pineapples on sale and after making Jam, Jelly, Chunks and Crushed, a friend of mine said you need to dry some of that pineapple, so here I am.  I sliced up the last three to dehydrate.

First I peeled the pineapples.  I made sure and cut out all the eyes.



Then cut them into four sections and cut out the core.


 Next I sliced them in 1/4 inch pieces and filled my dehydrator trays with the pieces.


Three pineapples filled 5 of my 9 tray Excaliber Dehydrator.


 Next time I need to do 5 or 6 to get a full load.  My manual says to let them dry at 135 degrees for 10 to 18 hours.  The pineapple should be pliable when done.  Once completely dry simply store in an airtight container and enjoy.  I plan on taking it with us when we go trail riding.

This is what I got from 3 pineapples.  I dried them for 19 hours.


Next batch I think I will try blanching for 2 minutes before dehydrating.  Someone told me this enhanced the flavor.