This recipe is for making fresh or freezing. Not recommended for canning.
1 to 1/2 pounds of ground chuck
1 quart or 1 29 oz can of diced tomatoes
1 quart or one 46 oz can of tomato or V8 juice
1/2 head of cabbage (medium size head)
1 cup of carrot sticks or shred your own
1 medium onion
Fresh garlic (add as much as you like)
Salt and Pepper
I use a large cast iron skillet to saute my onions and garlic for just a minute or two in olive oil. Put this in a stainless steel pot.
Use the same pan and cook the ground chuck until all meat is browned.
While the meat is cooking chop your cabbage and add to the pot with the onions and garlic. Go ahead and add your carrots, tomatoes and juice.
When meat gets done, drain off any fat and add your meat to the pot. Stir this all together. Cook until cabbage is tender. Serve over hot rice or with cornbread.
Ingredients to make a large batch for freezing:
- 3 quarts of home canned tomatoes or 3 29 oz cans of diced tomatoes
- 2 quarts of home canned tomato juice or 2 46 oz cans minus a glass to drink
- 2 small/medium heads of cabbage
- 3 cups of carrots (I love the match stick carrots)
- 3 onions
- Fresh Garlic (As much as you like)
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 7 tsp of salt
- 3 pounds of Ground Chuck (I try to get 93% but get at least 80% lean) If you have a meat grinder you can buy chuck roast and grind your own.