Mix up a batch of Sloppy Joe's that will leave you going back for seconds!
Ingredients Needed to Yield approximately 4 pints.
Vegetable cooking spray
3 cups finely chopped green bell pepper (about 2 large)
3 cups finely chopped red bell pepper (about 2 large)
2 cups diced onion (about 2 large)
4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. ground black pepper
1⁄2 cup roasted tomato paste*
4 cups tomato sauce*
1⁄2 cup apple cider vinegar (5% acidity)
1⁄2 cup Dijon mustard
1⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1. Preheat oven to 375°F .
Line a large rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil; coat foil with cooking spray. Spread green and red peppers and diced onion on prepared pan. Stir in salt and pepper. Bake at 375°F for 20 minutes or until vegetables are very tender and beginning to brown, stirring occasionally.
2. Transfer onion mixture to a large skillet. Stir in tomato paste; cook, uncovered, stirring often, It takes about 5 minutes until mixture begins to thicken.
Stir in Tomato Sauce and remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered for a few more minutes until sauce is slightly thickened. Stir often to prevent sticking.
3. Ladle hot sauce into a hot jars, leaving 1⁄2-inch head-space.
4. Remove air bubbles. Wipe jar rims with paper towel dipped in vinegar or hot water.
5. Put on lids and rings and tighten finger tight.
6. Process jars 20 minutes in a boiling water canner, Adjust for your altitude.
7. Turn off heat; remove lid, and let jars stand 5 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Remove rings from jars and store in a cool, dark place.
*1 (6-oz.) can tomato paste and 4 (8-oz.) cans tomato sauce, respectively, may be substituted.