Saturday, January 19, 2013

Pineapple Chunks

There is nothing quite like eating fresh pineapple.  

So watch the sales and when you find a good price, run out and buy some.  You won't regret it.

Turn These

Into This



Ingredients:
Fresh Pineapples
Sugar
Water
Put your clean jars in the canner and boil to sterilize them while you are cutting up your pineapples.  Since you are processing for 15 minutes, you can just wash them and keep them warm.
First I peeled the pineapples with a sharp knife.  Making sure to cut the eyes out good. 

I then quartered them and removed the core.
Or you can use a pineapple corer.  I have done both.
Next I cut my pineapple up into chucks.


I made a syrup using 4 cups of sugar and 12 cups of water.  You can make your syrup as light or heavy as you like. Heat your syrup to boiling and add your pineapple.

Then added my chunks of pineapple to the pot and simmered for 10 minutes.

Then I filled my jars leaving 1/2 inch head space.
Next I covered the pineapples with the syrup, removed air bubbles and adjusted the head space to 1/2 inch.


The only thing left to do is wipe the rims of the jars real good to make sure they are not sticky.  I then put on my lids and rings, tighten them down finger tight.  I place my jars in the canner and brought it to a boil, then processed them for 15 minutes. 

Pints go for 15 minutes or Quarts for 20 minutes.

Next I placed the jars on the counter to cool for 24 hours to be labeled and stored for when I get a craving for good pineapples.




No comments: