Tuesday, June 11, 2013

What do I do with all those onions?

Nancy asks:
I have to dig up my onions today but what am I going to do with them all??? Can I freeze whole onions to use PRN?

Answer:
Nancy, There are several ways to store your onions.
1:  You can freeze them. It works best if you cut them up and put on a cookie sheet and freeze for an hour or two, then store in freezer bags. This way they don't stick together when you start to use them. Frozen onions work best when used in soups or stews. They will be soft when thawed.
2: You can also can Carmelized Onions..yummy. 
3:  Dehydrate them.
4:  I have had people tell me that they ferment them in quart jars just like making kraut, and that they are delicious that way, but I haven't tried it
5:  You can also store whole onions for 6 to 8 months in a cool, dry place.  You can use mesh bags or even old pantyhose.  Hang them on a hook and use when needed.


You can google for Fermented Onions and find all kinds of ideas.



No comments:

Post a Comment