Here's what I did. Yields about 6 half pint jars or 3 pints.
4 cups of pureed pawpaw pulp
1/2 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar
1/2 cup of Apple Juice
3 cups of white sugar
1 cup of dark brown sugar
1/2 tsp of ground cloves
1/2 tsp of ground all spice
1/4 tsp of ginger
1 tsp of cinnamon
1 pat of butter
1 3 oz package of liquid pectin
- Wash your pawpaws under cool running water.
- Slice in half and remove all seeds.
- Take a spoon and scoop out the pulp.
- Mix Apple Juice and PawPaw pulp together and puree in a food processor. If you don't have a food processor, just mash it as good as you can with a potato masher.
- Mix the pureed pawpaw, vinegar, sugars, spices and butter in a medium/large stainless steel pot.
- Bring to a boil over medium/high heat stirring constantly to prevent sticking.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes. Stir often to prevent sticking.
- While jam is simmering put jars in canner and bring to a boil to sterilise. Put lids and rings in simmering water.
- After about 20 minutes your jam should be getting thicker. At this point you can add liquid pectin and bring back to a boil. Boil for exactly one minute. Your jam may be thick enough that you don't need the pectin. Use you own judgement.
- Remove from heat and fill your hot, sterile jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace.
- Wipes rims of jars with a damp cloth or paper towel dipped in vinegar.
- Place lids and rings on jars and tighten down finger tight.
- Process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
- Turn off heat, remove lid and wait 5 more minutes.
- Place jars on counter to cool for 24 hours.
- Label and Store in a cool, dark place.