Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Cream Style Corn

I love Cream Style Corn, but I don't recommend canning it. You have to process it for 1 hour and 25 minutes and it must be pints only. This is so long that the sugar in the corn turns it dark.

I always freeze mine.

1. Husk your corn and remove as much silk as you can by running cold water over it as you remove the silk.



2.     Stand corn on end and with a sharp serrated knife, cut your kernels from the center of the cob. It is normal for kernels to stick together, they will break apart in a later step.  I used to use a large cookie sheet to cut mine on and moved it to a large stainless steel pot as I went along until a friend got me a great little gadget from Pampered Chef.  Now I just cut it into the pot.  This was so fast and easy.


3. Take a small knife and scrape all your corn cobs to get any remaining kernels and all the milk. Clean that cob!!

I don't like having too many whole kernels in my creamed corn because then it doesn't seem like creamed corn, so I cut my kernels in one pot and scrape the cobs in another.

I then add equal measures of Kernels and Scraped Corn to a large pot. If you have 2 quarts of scraped corn, add 2 quarts of kernels that you cut off. Add a little water to keep it from sticking and bring this to a boil and boil 5 minutes.



If you have leftover kernels, just make a few jars of Whole Kernel Corn.

Put 2 and one half cups in each freezer container and freeze.

When ready to serve

Make Cream Corn 
Take
2 1/2 cups of Corn
1 tbsp of Sugar
1 tbsp of Flour
3 tbsp of Butter 
Mix in a pot and cook for 5 minutes
Add 1 cup of heavy whipping cream and cook about 10 minutes or until thick.
Salt and Pepper to suit your own taste