Friday, September 19, 2014

Pizza Sauce




I have never been satisfied with a pizza sauce so I decided to just do it my way.  I used the National Center for Home Food Preservation Spaghetti Sauce without meat as a guide.  It tasted real good going into the jars.  I can't wait to do a pizza and see the results!

Recipe yielded 11 pints.  I did 1/2 pints so one jar would be just enough for a pizza.

Ingredients:

25 pound box of paste tomatoes
3 tbsp of oregano
3 tsp of basil
1 tsp of fresh ground black pepper
1 tbsp of red pepper flakes
1 tbsp of minced garlic (About 4 cloves)
2 tbsp of canning salt
1/8 cup sugar

Fill your sink with water and add one cup of vinegar to wash you tomatoes in.  Core and quarter the tomatoes and cook them down as you would for sauce.  I used a roaster and let mine cook overnight and all day the next day. 



Take an immersion blender if you have one and blend them up a bit, then run through a food mill to remove the seeds and peels.

Pour sauce back in your roaster and slowly cook until it gets to the thickness you want.  


I let mine cook all day and into the evening.    When you sauce starts thickening then add all of seasonings and continue cooking until nice and thick. 


I let mine simmer about 2 hours after adding my seasonings.

Ladle sauce into your jars leaving ½ inch head space. 



Stir with a chopstick to remove air bubbles

Wipe rims of jars with a paper towel dipped in vinegar to ensure a good seal.

Put on lids and rings and tighten down finger tight.



Recommended process time for  Kat's Pizza Sauce  in a weighted-gauge pressure canner.
Canner Gauge Pressure (PSI) at Altitudes of
Style of PackJar SizeProcess Time0 - 1,000 ftAbove 1,000 ft
HotPints or
Half Pints
20 min10 lb15 lb
Quarts251015




 Remove rings from jars.  Wash, Label and Store in a cool, dark place.





No comments: