Friday, August 14, 2015

Cole Slaw Raw Packed

I finally broke over and decided to try this Cole Slaw that everyone is raving about.  I am going to share with you how I did mine.  I made a few changes to the way I am doing it, changes that I believe will make it safer to can.

I can this in pints.  Yield is approximately 7 pints jars.  This is not "Fresh Slaw" but pretty darn good.  I know that it will be on my keeper list.  If you like slaw, I believe this will become a favorite in your pantry as well.

Ingredients Needed for the Slaw:
1 Medium/Large head of cabbage
1 Green Pepper
1 Carrot
1 Small Onion (Optional)
1 Tsp of canning salt
Ingredients Needed for the Syrup:  Increased from original recipe to ensure enough syrup for the Raw-Pack method I am using.
2 cups of vinegar    3 cups of sugar
1  1/2 Tsp of Celery Seed (Optional)   1 1/2 Tsp of Mustard Seed (Optional)
Pickle Crisp (1/8 tsp per pint jar)


Shred your Cabbage, Pepper, Carrot and Onion.  Sprinkle the salt over the veggies and mix together.  Let veggies sit for one hour.

Get your canner ready, Wash your jars and lids and anything else you need to do while waiting.  Keep jars
hot until ready to fill.  I leave mine in the canner.

Mix Vinegar, Sugar and Spices together and bring to a boil.  Boil for
one minute.
Add pickle crisp to each jar.  Rinse and drain your veggies and fill jars leaving 1/2 inch head-space.

Pour hot brine-syrup over veggies.

Remove air bubbles and add extra syrup to adjust head-space.

Wipe rims of jars well and put on lids and rings.  Tighten finger tight.


Process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes.


Credit:  I want to say thank you to Mary Unruh, a Master Food Preserver for her advise on adjusting this recipe.  I wasn't comfortable with cooling the brine and after discussing it with her we figured the Raw-Pack method would be better using hot brine.  

This recipe was adapted from Ball Blue Book's Freezer Slaw Recipe Copyright 2011 Page 99.