Ingredients Needed: Yields 10 Pints.
- 4 lbs of 4- to 5-inch pickling cucumbers, washed, and cut into 1-inch slices (cut off 1/16 inch from blossom end and discard)
- 2 lbs peeled and quartered small onions
- 4 cups cut celery (1-inch pieces)
- 2 cups peeled and cut carrots (1/2-inch pieces)
- 2 cups cut sweet red peppers (1/2-inch pieces)
- 2 cups cauliflower flowerets
- 5 cups white vinegar (5 percent)
- 1/4 cup prepared mustard
- 1/2 cup canning or pickling salt
- 3-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tbsp celery seed
- 2 tbsp mustard seed
- 1/2 tsp whole cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- Combine vegetables, cover with 2 inches of cubed or crushed ice, and refrigerate 3 to 4 hours.
- In 8-quart kettle, combine vinegar and mustard and mix well.
- Add salt, sugar, celery seed, mustard seed, cloves, turmeric. Bring to a boil.
- Drain vegetables and add to hot pickling solution. Cover and slowly bring to a boil.
- Drain vegetables but save pickling solution.
- Fill vegetables in sterile pint jars, or clean quarts, leaving 1/2-inch head-space. Remove air bubbles.
- Add pickling solution, leaving 1/2-inch head-space.
- Wipe rims with a paper towel dipped in vinegar
- Put on lids and rings and tighten finger tight.
- Process in a boiling water bath according to chart.
|Recommended process time for Pickled Mixed Vegetables in a boiling-water canner.|
|Process Time at Altitudes of|
|Style of Pack||Jar Size||0 - 1,000 ft||1,001 - 6,000 ft||Above 6,000 ft|